Winter is a good time to savor famous wines from warmer locations in the world. Winter in the Western Hemisphere is summer in the Southern Hemisphere, which includes Australia and New Zealand. Enjoying imported summer wines is a nice way to escape harsh and dreary winter days.
In 2009, wine producers in Australia joined to form an association that became known as Australia’s First Families of Wine. The association includes some of the oldest and best wineries in Australia. A wide array of fine Australian wines can now be enjoyed in the Western Hemisphere:
- Jim Barry Wines Lodge Hill Riesling 2014 – This is a classic Riesling with an accent of Asian pear. The wine has some clear floral characteristics and plenty of charm. Jim Barry Wines also makes a fine Shiraz.
- Yalumba Eden Valley Viognier 2012 – This wine has a long, full palate with aromas of apricot and orange oil. It’s a favorite for fruit lovers.
- D’Arenberg Rousanne McLaren Vale 2012 – This wine is touched with the essence of ripe mango and pear. It is made from full-juicy grapes, not dry and acidic ones.
- Leeuwin Estate Art Series Chardonnay 2012 – The wine is perfumed, concentrated and youthful with a bouquet of fresh nectarines and pears, but with an underlying lift of lemon blossom.
- Jacob’s Creek Centenary Shiraz 1999 – This wine is pure Barossa with basic blackberry richness. Heightened with an additional couple years of aging, this wine takes on raspberry and mint liqueur notes.
- Grand Burge Nebuchadnezzar Shiraz Cabernet Sauvignon 2003 – This blend of Cabernet and Shiraz is forceful and elegant, with full pepper and chocolate notes.
New Zealand Wines
New Zealand produces some of the best wines in this part of the globe. Some of their famous wines include the following:
- Vidal El Legado Gimblett Gravels Hawke’s Bay Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot – This wine from Gimblett Gravels has intense aromatics of dried herbs, black currant, and cedar notes. The rich and concentrated dark fruit combines with mocha oak for a balanced taste. It is elegantly textured with fine-grained tannins and finishes with excellent mineral length.
- Brightwater Vineyards Nelson Pinot Noir 2014 – This wine is delicious, juicy, and uncomplicated. It has the savory characters of ruby red, dark cherry, and berry fruit. It exhibits well-integrated ripe tannins, a wonderfully persistent flavor, and smooth palate.
Give the gift of warmth this holiday season with famous wines from Australia and New Zealand.